6/21/11

Spreading My Wings A Little Bit

Since I've been writing for the (Art of Oconee) gallery blog, it has made me consider writing more for my own blog - more than recounting events and accomplishments. I admit, that kind of stuff can be pretty dry reading. I've kept to that because it's hard for me to share more than a peek at the thoughts and ideas rolling around in my head. As I have become more comfortable with the writing, and as I read what other artists are writing, I'm thinking, "I like reading the blogs of artists. It validates my own thoughts and feelings. It gives other people insight into the mindset and lifestyle of artists. Why not contribute to the conversation?"


So, what do I start with, other than this very announcement? How about a quote I love and use a lot, "It's not WHAT you paint, it's how you paint it." it's almost a mantra for me. Any time I start to lose focus, or look at a painting I've just "finished" and get disgusted by how bland (traditional) it looks, I remember, not WHAT, but HOW. That allows me to shake off the need to play it safe and just go for it. Invariably I end up with a more exciting painting. Because that's what I'm after, visual excitement.


So I've decided to expand the subject matter of my posts to include more about the issues and experiences of being an artist.
This artist, me.


Original Dream Dancing    
Dream Dancing, 2010 (Sold)

No comments:

Post a Comment