10/17/12

Getting Ready For A Show, Part One

I've been invited to show my work at the Sautee Nacoochee Center in north Georgia. It occurred to me that most people don't know what is involved in getting ready to show paintings. So, I decided to explain the process as I get ready.
The first thing I needed to do is see the location. I've not been to Sautee Nacoochee (between Helen and Clarksville), so I asked my friend, Gail Vail, to go for a road trip to see it.

When we got there I got a photo of the sign, but forgot to take a picture of the outside of the building. So this is a drawing I found of it...
The art gallery is actually a restored schoolhouse. I believe it was built in the early 1900's.

I will hang my work, as visiting artist, in the hallway.
I get both sides. I could see immediately I need to bring a lot of work!

I also met the gallery director, Jim Thomas.
He showed us around, explained what the shows are like, and gave me needed paperwork for the show.

By the end of the show I will have traveled to this little schoolhouse four times and packed and unpacked my car twice. This is in addition to creating the work, photographing the work, logging information about each painting into the computer, creating an inventory sheet for the show and filling out labels for each painting.
There is a lot to do that has nothing to do with painting. It's all a part of the process.
It's all good.


No comments:

Post a Comment