3/26/12

New Work "Before The Introduction" and How It Came To Be

"Before The Introduction," Oil on Canvas, 24"x24"
Every painting is created in stages, from layout to completion. If I've done a good job the painting looks as if it were effortless to produce.

In fact, creating a painting is a multi-step process that, for me at least, takes trial and error to get to the last stages. I (finally) remembered to take a picture after each painting session for this one, so thought I'd add them to the blog in order to give you a peek at the process!

First is the layout and first "coat" of paint:
This is where it is important to get the composition right. I make sure everything is where it should be on the canvas, at the right size. I also cover the canvas with paint while trying to establish general values of dark and light.

The next session is where I start to add more paint and start to make the subjects look dimensional. I also work on values of dark and light some more, as well as color and texture.

At this point each painting starts to demand decisions specific to its own design. This painting is rather subtle on color and strong on light and dark values. Also, I want to show some atmosphere and have to figure out how to make that happen.
Here is a detail of the pony:
Every artist has his or her own way of doing things. This is the way I do it, but I believe it is similar to what a lot of painters do.

Oh, yeah, this painting is currently at Watson Gallery in Atlanta, on 14th Street. One of several new pieces that I took a couple weeks ago. They will have a reception on April 28th to show off all the new spring work!

I'll keep you posted!
-- Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment